Prescription Drug Treatment in San Antonio, TX
While you might think of addiction as something related to street drugs like heroin and cocaine, there’s a greater chance that you or someone you love could develop a dependency on prescription drugs. Prescription drug addiction is more likely to affect teens and young adults who find the substances in medicine cabinets.
Regardless of age or the medication in question, Blue Heron Recovery’s prescription drug addiction treatment program can help. Review our short guide to prescription drug addiction, and dial (888) 403-6608 to learn more about recovery programs at our San Antonio, TX, facility.
What Is a Prescription Drug Problem?
Prescription drug abuse starts when you take medications in any way other than prescribed. This can include:
- Taking more than the prescribed dosage
- Taking medication prescribed for someone else
- Taking medication for something different than prescribed
When the behavior is compulsive and ongoing, regardless of the consequences, it becomes an addiction that requires intervention.
The most commonly abused prescription drugs include:
- Pain medication, particularly opioids including Vicodin, OxyContin, and fentanyl
- Tranquilizers, including benzodiazepines like Xanax and Valium, as well as muscle relaxers
- Stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin, usually prescribed for weight loss and ADHD
- Sedatives, like Ambien, prescribed for sleep disorders
Signs of a Prescription Drug Addiction
Remember that these medications are safe and effective when used according to a doctor’s instructions. Signs of a problem that requires prescription drug addiction treatment and rehabilitation include the following:
- Using more than the prescribed dosage
- Using the drug more often than directed
- Regularly losing prescriptions or needing a refill sooner than expected
- Seeking prescriptions from more than one doctor or using multiple pharmacies
- Stealing or forging prescriptions or buying prescriptions from someone else
- Having unusual amounts of energy or being more sluggish than usual
- Sleep disturbances
- Mood swings
- Poor decision making
Prescription drug abuse may be due to various circumstances, including peer pressure, mental health disorders, a history of dependence, and more. Regardless of the underlying cause, prompt treatment is critical to preventing overdoses and significant long-term consequences.
Addressing Addiction to Prescription Drugs With Substance Abuse Treatment
Recovery programs and prescription drug addiction treatment approaches vary by substance. For example, an opioid addiction may require detoxification or medication-assisted treatment to manage withdrawal symptoms before proceeding with treatment. Withdrawing from tranquilizers, sedatives, and stimulants typically requires slowly tapering doses so your body can adjust to different levels of the medications.
In addition to working on not taking drugs, recovery programs provide addiction therapy to help you understand the underlying source of your addiction and the reasons you use before guiding you toward healthier behaviors. Programs may be inpatient or outpatient, depending on your circumstances. Inpatient programs eliminate access to all drugs and triggers; it’s common to begin treatment in an inpatient environment and then transition to outpatient therapy.
Get Help Today From Blue Heron Recovery in San Antonio, TX
Prescription drug addiction treatment can help you turn things around and get back on track to a healthy and productive life. If you’re struggling with any type of substance abuse disorder and need help, call Blue Heron Recovery.
At Blue Heron Recovery, we are committed to helping you overcome addiction and live a fulfilling, sober life. Don’t wait. Instead, get the help you need now. Contact us today at 888.403.6608 to schedule a consultation and begin your journey to recovery.