What Is CBT?
Cognitive-behavioral therapy, or CBT for short, is a type of psychotherapy. It helps in treating people who are struggling with depression, anxiety, or other psychological disorders. According to the American Psychological Association, cognitive-behavioral therapy is based on three core principles:
- Psychological problems are based, in part, on faulty or unhelpful ways of thinking.
- Psychological problems are based, in part, on learned patterns of unhelpful behaviors.
- Individuals struggling with mental health disorders can learn healthier ways of coping with their symptoms and lead productive lives.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy works on changing the negative behaviors that keep people from living a full life. Therapists use a variety of techniques that allow clients to safely face their fears instead of avoiding them. They also prepare them for potentially problematic interactions with others and how to calm down in tense situations and respond rationally without triggering cravings or causing other bad behaviors.
Blue Heron is an outpatient treatment facility that provides cognitive-behavioral therapy services and other beneficial programs for Texas residents. Our outpatient programs allow clients to continue working or caring for families. At the same time, they’ll receive quality care from a professional team with experience treating all types of mental health disorders.
What to Expect After Enrolling in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Treatment
Cognitive-behavioral therapy is one of the leading forms of therapy for treating mental health disorders. At the same time, it helps people maintain a healthy lifestyle. Moreover, it gives people the confidence and necessary skills to deal with any tense or stressful situations or people without triggering their symptoms or negative behaviors.
If this is your first time enrolling in a therapy program, here is what you can expect after enrolling in cognitive-behavioral therapy treatment:
- Therapists will run a full health assessment to develop a treatment program based on their individual symptoms.
- In private sessions, therapists will dive deep into your past to uncover the underlying issues causing the disorder and develop strategies for addressing their symptoms directly.
- During group therapy, you will participate in a number of group activities with your peers. This can include role-playing games, group discussions, trust exercises, and other group activities that support a whole-person recovery.
- For clients with severe symptoms, medication is available to ease their symptoms and allow them to continue with their recovery. Medical staff will administer medications, monitor each client’s reactions, and make adjustments to the dosage throughout the program.
- Therapists will also work with parents, spouses, and children to address any relationship issues that may disrupt the recovery process. They will also educate families on the disorder and what they can do to support the recovery process.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy services are essential for people who struggle with depression, PTSD, or substance use disorders. It can greatly reduce the severity and frequency of their symptoms. How? By teaching them healthy ways of coping with triggering situations or people.
Blue Heron Recovery: Choose Therapy Services in San Antonio
Blue Heron provides comprehensive outpatient treatment programs for Texas residents who are struggling with substance use disorders, major depressive disorder, and other treatable disorders. Our cognitive-behavioral therapy treatment programs are very effective in helping clients change their disruptive behaviors and learn new coping skills for managing their symptoms and triggers.